Perfect Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs- Making hard- boiled eggs in the Instant Pot is SO easy. Just remember” 5-5-5 “ and you’ll have the secret to perfectly cooked eggs every time! “5-5-5”= 5 (cook using high pressure for 5 minutes) 5 ( allow Instant Pot to naturally release for 5 minutes before doing a Quick Release) 5 (place eggs in ice water for 5 minutes). = Perfect hard-boiled eggs every time!
How to Cook Perfect Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
Just remember “5-5-5”
” 5-5-5 “ the secret to perfectly cooked eggs every time! What does “5-5-5” mean:
- 5 – cook eggs on high pressure for 5 minutes
- 5 – once cooking cycle is complete, naturally release pressure for 5 minutes
- 5 – place eggs in ice water for 5 minutes.
Why cook hard- boiled eggs in the Instant Pot?
That’s simple.! Hard-boiled eggs turn out perfect every time they are cooked (steamed) under pressure in the Instant Pot. No more overcooking (eeks! have you ever overcooked and egg and had a green yolk? So unappealing!, with this easy method you’ll have nothing but perfectly cooked eggs with bright yellow yolks. Plus, eggs cooked under pressure are easier to peel.
Trivet vs. steamer basket?
Both work equally as well. You can use the trivet that came with the Instant Pot or any wire-mesh, silicone, or metal steamer basket that fits inside the Instant Pot.
How many eggs can you cook at one time?
If you are using the trivet that came with the Instant Pot or a steamer basket you should be able to cook 10-12 eggs (depending on size of eggs) at one time. You’ll want one single layer of eggs , no stacking eggs on top of one another.
It is possible to purchase a stackable rack ( like this one from Amazon) that has a place for up to 18 eggs. The rack holds the eggs vertical ( vs. laying horizontal on the trivet) which some say means the yolks will be more uniformly in the center of the egg. ( think Instagram worthy Deviled Eggs).
The cooking time ( 5 mins.) remains the same regardless of the number of eggs you are cooking.
Cooking eggs in the Instant Pot with the “5-5-5” method will give you perfect hard boiled eggs (every time!).
But what about soft boiled (aka “jammy” ) eggs that work so well with Ramen, or grain bowls, or to top savory Oatmeal or Avocado Toast? Just as easy! and even quicker! You can find out how to cook perfect Soft Boiled (“Jammy” ) eggs here. Along with the recipe for “Everything Avocado Toast with “Jammy “Eggs.
How to Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- 1 cup water
- 6 Eggs desired quantity – up to 12 large eggs
- Trivet/Steam Rack that came with Instant Pot or steamer basket, metal or silicone
- Ice Bath- large bowl with cold water and ice
- Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot. Place the trivet/steam rack at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Carefully place eggs on the rack.
- Lock Instant Pot and set vent to SEALING. Set to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK, high pressure, for 5 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, prepare the ice bath by filling a large bowl with cold water and ice (leaving enough room for the eggs).
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow Instant Pot to NATURALLY RELEASE for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes do a QUICK RELEASE to remove the remaining pressure by turning the vent/quick release valve to the open position. Once steam is fully released and the float valve is down open the instant pot, remove the eggs with tongs, and place in the ice water bath. Allow eggs to remain in the ice water for 5 minutes. Remove and enjoy !