Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice- Step up your rice game with this Chipotle copycat extra flavorful side dish. Long grain white rice gets an extra punch of flavor from fresh lime juice, lime zest and cilantro. Perfect for serving with steak, chicken, fish, pork or your favorite Mexican and Asian dishes. Also makes a great base for rice/burrito bowls or tucked inside a burrito.
How to make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
So Easy! Only 5 minutes prep time and the Instant Pot does all the work.
- Use a 1:1 ratio of equal amounts of rice to water (2 cups rice and 2 cups water) and place both in the Instant Pot. Secure the lid, set the vent to sealing and cook on MANUAL/HIGH PRESSURE for 3 minutes. Allow the rice to NATURALLY RELEASE PRESSURE (will take approx. 15-20 mins).
- While rice is cooking zest one lime(set aside) cut the lime in half and squeeze juice from lime you’ll want approx. 2 Tbsp. (set aside) . Chop fresh cilantro ( you’ll need about ½ cup – more or less to taste).
- Fluff rice with fork (or the rice paddle that came with Instant Pot). Stir in lime zest, cilantro and salt. Add lime juice (start with a small amount and adjust to meet your tastes). Serve warm.
Best rice to use to make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
Long grain white or white basmati rice are my favorite choices for making this recipe.
How to make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice with Brown Rice
You can substitute brown rice for the white rice however the cooking time is significantly different. Still use the 1:1 ratio of rice to water but you’ll need to cook the brown rice for longer.
Brown basmati rice – cook for 24 minutes ( and do a natural pressure release)
Brown short grain rice- cook for 22 minutes (and do a natural pressure release)
Follow the rest of the recipe directions for adding lime zest, lime juice, cilantro and salt after the rice is cooked.
Adjusting the quantity of rice cooked
You can adjust the quantity of rice cooked to meet your needs just remember to keep the ratio 1:1. Use the same quantity of rice and water. The cook time will remain the same.
Can you Freeze Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice?
Absolutely! Allow the Cilantro Lime Rice to cool completely. Place rice in freezer bags in appropriate serving quantities for you ( i.e. single servings size, family serving size etc.). Freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, remove bag from freezer and run warm water over the bag to loosen frozen rice from the bag. Place rice in a microwavable container and add a small amount of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 3-5 minutes (depending on quantity of rice).
Alternatively you can reheat on the stove-top in a pot also adding a small amount of water. Place a lid over the pot and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is hot.
- 2 cups uncooked Long Grain White Rice rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Zest of one lime
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice more or less to taste
Place rice and water in Instant Pot. Place lid on pot and lock. Set vent to SEALING. Select MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK and set to 3 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE. Allow rice to NATURALLY PRESSURE RELEASE (will take approx. 15-20 mins to release naturally).
Fluff rice with fork (or the rice paddle that came with Instant Pot). Stir in lime zest, cilantro and salt. Add lime juice ( start with a small amount and adjust to meet your tastes). Serve warm.
I like to rub a very small amount of coconut oil in the bottom and about half way up the sides of the Instant Pot prior to adding the rice and water into the pot. This helps to make sure rice doesn't stick to the pot while cooking.
You'll want to turn off the "keep warm" function for this recipe (if your Instant Pot model has it). After the cooking cycle is complete you're going to let the Instant Pot do a natural release but in the event that you are not there to remove the lid right when the pressure is finished releasing, you don't want the rice to continue to heat and potentially burn.